Monday, January 22, 2007

A Short History of Me/I Love Mexican Food

If you're reading this blog, chances are you know my story, but for those of you just tuning in here's a refresher: I grew up in New York, lived real briefly in New Hampshire and then moved to South Carolina, where I unexpectedly stayed for about 8 years. I moved to the D.C. area in March of 2006.

If you're not familiar with South Carolina then the distinction between South Carolina as a whole and Charleston means nothing to you. Let me clarify: Charleston is very very different from the rest of the state on many levels. For one thing, Charleston is a mecca for foodies everywhere. Charleston formerly had a Johnson & Wales campus. J&W has left the area, but the niche was filled by an expanded culinary program at a local tech school which, while not having the noteworthy name, is by all accounts an excellent program. As such, the market in Charleston is flooded with great chefs who stick around to take advantage of the high population of tourists, opening one great restaurant after another. For another thing, Charleston is a fairly sophisticated, if tiny tiny city.

Yet the fine dining of Charleston is not what I miss most. I miss the low country cooking of Jestine's, the crepe stand that was always in the farmer's market, the scones of Normandy Farms bakery (oh sweet Lord those were good!) and the ever ready availability of great, cheap Mexican food. Charleston is home to two fantastic places in particular: La Hacienda and Senor Tequila's. These were not fancy places that tried to replicate authentic Mexican cuisine- they were just hole-in-the-wall type places that served burritos, tacos and quesadillas faster than a McDonald's drive through. My former Roommate and I used to swear that the kitchens were staffed with psychics who knew you were coming and what you were going to order- that's how fast the food would come out. The platters were huge and the bill was tiny. It's no wonder we were regulars.

Imagine my dismay when, since moving to the D.C. area, I haven't been able to find a single substitute for these restaurants! I'm not sure I can really convey the difference between a La Hacienda and a Chipotle, but trust me- it's a HUGE difference.

An old buddy from High School (henceforth known as OBFHS) has lived here longer than I have, so I thought he would be the best bet for helping me find a place. He suggested Alero in Cleveland Park, so it was off we went on Thursday night.

Alero is so easily accessible it's almost silly; it's literally right across the street from the Cleveland Park Metro station. The space is very small, but not unpleasantly appointed, and we were lucky enough to snag seats overlooking the street from the second floor. The food came quickly and was hot when it arrived. I had a taco plate that came with three tacos filled to the brim with beef and a side of rice. The food wasn't bad, although it was just a tad on the bland side. The bill wasn't so bad, either. I do recommend Alero if you are in the mood to drink cheaply: they have very inexpensive house wines and sangria. I didn't try the sangria myself on this trip, but at less than $10 for a half-decanter, I'd say it's worth sampling.

I can't say Alero is the restaurant at the end of my quest for great, cheap Mexican food, but it will do in the meantime. At the very least, I'll use it to get my fix until I find someplace even better.

2 comments:

Mel said...

I HEAR YA! I have yet to find a Mexican place up here that compares to the ones in Baton Rouge. I don't suppose that is a bad thing though... Like you, I LOVE the stuff. I could eat it EVERY DAY. Were there GREAT Mexican up here, I'd be in trouble.

Unknown said...

we have to go to Santi's the next time you are in charleston...best mexican in town and still pretty cheap.